Upcoming Teaching Seminars
We are happy to announce we have two seminars coming up in the month of November - One in Gisbourne and one in Palmerston North.
For more information on the speakers, registrations and the format of the courses, please read below. If you have any questions please get in touch.
Introduction to primitive reflexes and developmental delay
SCHEDULE - SATURDAY NOV 7th 2020
- Milestones, gross motor, fine motor, cognitive, emotional and speech language.
- Global developmental delay definition.
- Global developmental disability definition.
- Failure to thrive definition.
- Historical features of delay; pregnancy, Birth infancy and early school age.
- Brain stem, midbrain and cortex hierarchy.
- Draw a picture assessment.
- 4 point and 8-point motor assessment.
- MOT 4-6 assessment.
- Research around primitive reflexes.
- Baseline 3 exercises, jelly on a plate, window wipers and frog legs.
- What are interuterine reflexes ?
- What are primitive reflexes. ?
- What are transitional and postural reflexes ?
12 PM - LUNCH
- Transition from withdrawal to Moro.
- Settling/integration exercises, cigar roll, jelly on a plate, head down, paddle.
- Transition from Moro to startle.
- Strategies for parents to reduce distress and extensor patterning.
- Osteopathic management of first breath
- What is a retained Moro ?
- 3 Tests Standing, prone and duck walk.
- Remedy/inhibition ideas, mirror reflex.
- Exercises Moro, Jelly on a plate, window wipers, frog legs Unilateral/Bilateral. Active/passive exercises.
- Exercises: Sausage, mash gravy. Popcorn. Dead frog unilateral. Duckwalk, starfish, 3 versions.
SCHEDULE - SUNDAY NOV 7th 2020
- What is a retained ATNR ?
- Test for ATNR.
- Remedy/inhibition, ATNR exercises.
- Osteopathic management of ATNR, Indirect release cord around neck, umbilicus.
- Vision exercise, Track, eyes only/ roll head and track.
- What is a retained palmar grasp ?
- Remedy/inhibition, grasp exercises, trigger/pistol, throw a bean bag, grasp/release.
- Osteopathic management of Grasp, indirect interosseous forearm and wrist release.
- What is a retained extension/flexion STNR ?
- Remedy/inhibition, STNR exercises. Windmill
- Osteopathic management of W sitting child, tibial torsion.
- Head righting reflex, ventral suspension, parachute.
- Osteopathic management of rolling, sitting crawling, and low/ high tone transition issues around walking
12 PM - LUNCH
- What is a retained Galant reflex ?
- Remedy/inhibition, Galant exercises. Snow angels, upper/lower extremity.
- Osteopathic management of nocturnal enuresis, pelvis and hip.
- What is a retained extension/ flexion TLR reflex ?
- Remedy/inhibition, Galant exercises.
- Osteopathic management of balance
Peripheral structural/Direct and Functional/Indirect revision
Marcus Ferreira BSc
SCHEDULE - SATURDAY NOV 28th 2020
- Introduction to difference between direct/indirect diagnosis
- Ease versus restriction
- Osteopathic diagnostic criteria rhythm
- Range of motion
- Motion testing.
- Shoulder complex - Scapulo thoracic, Gleno humeral and clavicle
- Direct – prone articulatory routine
- Side lying Scapulo thoracic lift/traction.
- Indirect - BLT - Sitting Scapulo thoracic
- Gleno humeral and clavicle routine.
Indirect - BLT OA ,C1-23 and Anterior cervical fascia BMT. Direct - MET, articulation, HVT.
SCHEDULE - SUNDAY NOV 29th 2020
- Indirect sitting
- Side lying HIP BLT.
- Direct prone
- Side lying articulation
- Direct Lumbar articulation
- Indirect – Ilio sacral BLT standing and supine.
- Indirect diagnosis IVM
- (cranio sacral)
- IVM flexion/extension
- Palpation diagnosis
- Torsion and Side bending rotation
- Balanced membranous release(BMT)
- Sacrum, supine ilio sacral BMT.
12 PM - LUNCH
Knee and Foot
- Indirect BLT knee
- Tib/fib and foot BLT routine
- Navicular Calcaneum
- Cuboid and cuneiforms.
- Direct articulation
- Mobilization/HVT foot routine.